Re: BUG #16927: Postgres can`t access WAL files

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Ярослав Пашинский <yarik97(dot)6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16927: Postgres can`t access WAL files
Date: 2021-03-16 22:30:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:40:15PM +0200, Ярослав Пашинский wrote:
> On prod server with windows server 2019 I used .zip downloaded from
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/download-postgresql-binaries and unpacked it
> to the default folder (Program Files/PostgreSQL/13). But the previous
> version (9.6) was installed via .exe installer.
> On developer server with Windows server 2016 I used an installer to install
> postgres 13, but as I said before there are the same issues on both servers.
> Are you talking about building patch from scratch? If yes, I`ll try it.

Yes, that's the idea, and it is an experience by itself to compile
the Postgres source code on Windows :)

We'd need to check after two things:
1) The code compiled from the source code of 13.2 is still able to
reproduce the issue.
2) Once the patch attached is applied on top of 13.2, check if the
problem goes away or not.

I am still running some tests on my own environments, but that's much
harder to hit for me, visibly, and the error code path complaining is
not the same. If I may ask, what are the contents of pg_wal on the
instances where the errors happen. Do you have some files suffixed
with ".deleted" around, or anything named like xlogtemp.N, where N is
an integer for a PID?

By the way, could you hit "reply-all" for the emails or attach
properly in CC pgsql-bugs so as everybody can see the discussion
happening here?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Revert-Remove-HAVE_WORKING_LINK.patch text/x-diff 5.3 KB