Re: Permission failures with WAL files in 13~ on Windows

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Permission failures with WAL files in 13~ on Windows
Date: 2021-03-16 10:22:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 10:02:25AM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> If you back out that patch, does the problem you can reproduce with
> archive_command go away?

That's the first thing I did after seeing the failure, and I saw
nothing after 2~3 hours of pgbench :)

The second thing I did was to revert back to HEAD with more logging in
the area, but I was not able to see my error again. Perhaps I just
need to put more load, there are still too many guesses and not enough
facts.

> I agree with your analysis in general. It certainly seems to hit right
> in the center of the problem scope.
>
> Maybe hardlinks on Windows has yet another "weird behaviour" vs what
> we're used to from Unix.

Yeah, I'd like to think that this is a rational explanation, and
that's why I was just focusing on reproducing this issue rather
reliably as a first step.

> It would definitely be more useful if we could figure out *when* this
> happens. But failing that, I wonder if we could find a way to provide
> a build with this patch backed out for the bug reporters to test out,
> given they all seem to have it fairly well reproducible. (But I am
> assuming are unlikely to be able to create their own builds easily,
> given the complexity of doing so on Windows). Given that this is a
> pretty isolated change, it should hopefully be easy enough to back out
> for testing.

There is a large pool of bug reporters, hopefully one of them may be
able to help..
--
Michael