Re: cleanup temporary files after crash

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: cleanup temporary files after crash
Date: 2021-03-09 12:31:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 02:28:43AM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Let's move this patch forward. Based on the responses, I agree the
> default behavior should be to remove the temp files, and I think we
> should have the GUC (on the off chance that someone wants to preserve
> the temporary files for debugging or whatever other reason).

Thanks for taking care of this. I am having some second-thoughts
about changing this behavior by default, still that's much more useful
this way.

> I propose to rename the GUC to remove_temp_files_after_crash, I think
> "remove" is a bit clearer than "cleanup". I've also reworded the sgml
> docs a little bit.

"remove" sounds fine to me.

> Attached is a patch with those changes. Barring objections, I'll get
> this committed in the next couple days.

+ When set to on, <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> will automatically
Nit: using a <literal> markup for the "on" value.

+#remove_temp_files_after_crash = on # remove temporary files after
+# # backend crash?
The indentation of the second line is incorrect here (Incorrect number
of spaces in tabs perhaps?), and there is no need for the '#' at the
beginning of the line.
--
Michael