Re: pg_replication_origin_session_setup and superuser

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Zohar Gofer <Zohar(dot)Gofer(at)amdocs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_replication_origin_session_setup and superuser
Date: 2021-02-16 00:51:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 09:37:53AM +0000, Zohar Gofer wrote:
> In my mind the requirement for superuser is too strong. I think that
> requiring privileges of a replication user is more suitable. This
> way we can require that only a user with replication privileges will
> actually do replication, even if this is not really a replication.

PostgreSQL 14 will remove those hardcoded superuser checks. Please
see this thread:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAPdiE1xJMZOKQL3dgHMUrPqysZkgwzSMXETfKkHYnBAB7-0VRQ@mail.gmail.com
And its related commit:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=cc072641d41c55c6aa24a331fc1f8029e0a8d799

While the default is still superuser-only, it becomes possible to
grant access to this stuff to other roles that have no need to be
superusers.
--
Michael