Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Date: 2023-01-20 04:35:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 09:42:03AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I see that in the 0003 patch, most location fields now have an explicit
> markup with query_jumble_ignore. I thought we had previously resolved to
> consider location fields to be automatically ignored unless explicitly
> included (like for the Const node). This appears to invert that? Am I
> missing something?

As a result, I have rebased the patch set to use the two-attribute
approach: query_jumble_ignore and query_jumble_location.

On top of the three previous patches, I am adding 0004 to implement a
GUC able to switch the computation of the utility statements between
what I am calling "string" to compute the query IDs based on the hash
of the query string and the previous default, or "jumble", to use the
parsed tree, with a few more tests to see the difference. Perhaps it
is not worth bothering, but it could be possible that some users don't
want to pay the penalty of doing the query jumbling with the parsed
tree for utilities, as well..
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Rework-format-of-comments-for-nodes.patch text/x-diff 44.6 KB
v4-0002-Move-query-jumble-code-to-src-backend-nodes.patch text/x-diff 7.1 KB
v4-0003-Support-for-automated-query-jumble-with-all-Nodes.patch text/x-diff 67.7 KB
v4-0004-Add-GUC-utility_query_id.patch text/x-diff 11.3 KB