Re: real/float example for testlibpq3

From: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: real/float example for testlibpq3
Date: 2023-01-13 20:45:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 09:55:22AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > On 01.11.22 09:15, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Agreed that the libpq manual is not the place for this, but I feel
> >> like it will also be clutter in "Data Types". Perhaps we should
> >> invent a new appendix or the like? Somewhere near the wire protocol
> >> docs seems sensible.
>
> > Would that clutter the protocol docs? ;-)
>
> I said "near", not "in". At the time I was thinking "new appendix",
> but I now recall that the wire protocol docs are not an appendix
> but a chapter in the Internals division. So that doesn't seem like
> quite the right place anyway.
>
> Perhaps a new chapter under "IV. Client Interfaces" is the right
> place?
>
> If we wanted to get aggressive, we could move most of the nitpicky details
> about datatype text formatting (e.g., the array quoting rules) there too.
> I'm not set on that, but it'd make datatype.sgml smaller which could
> hardly be a bad thing.
>
> > I suppose figuring out exactly where to put it and how to mark it up,
> > etc., in a repeatable fashion is part of the job here.
>
> Yup.

How does this look?

I've simply moved things around into a new "Binary Format" section with
the few parts that I've started for some quick feedback about whether
this is looking like the right landing place.

Regards,
Mark

Attachment Content-Type Size
libpq-binary-format-doc-v1.patch text/x-diff 4.0 KB