Re: real/float example for testlibpq3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Wong <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: real/float example for testlibpq3
Date: 2022-11-03 13:55:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 01.11.22 09:15, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Agreed that the libpq manual is not the place for this, but I feel
>> like it will also be clutter in "Data Types". Perhaps we should
>> invent a new appendix or the like? Somewhere near the wire protocol
>> docs seems sensible.

> Would that clutter the protocol docs? ;-)

I said "near", not "in". At the time I was thinking "new appendix",
but I now recall that the wire protocol docs are not an appendix
but a chapter in the Internals division. So that doesn't seem like
quite the right place anyway.

Perhaps a new chapter under "IV. Client Interfaces" is the right
place?

If we wanted to get aggressive, we could move most of the nitpicky details
about datatype text formatting (e.g., the array quoting rules) there too.
I'm not set on that, but it'd make datatype.sgml smaller which could
hardly be a bad thing.

> I suppose figuring out exactly where to put it and how to mark it up,
> etc., in a repeatable fashion is part of the job here.

Yup.