CD-RW Scheduled Database Backup...

From: Rums Dabs <REMOTErumsTHIS(at)home(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CD-RW Scheduled Database Backup...
Date: 2001-09-17 06:01:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

(sorry for the .questions/.hackers crosspost)

I'm a relatively new Linux / PostgreSQL user, and I've been scouring for a
few weeks now to find an answer to my problem -- bugging newsgroups with
my newbie questions is my last resort.

I have a Postgres DB that I wish to have automagically pg_dumped to a
dated text file and burned to a Multi-Session CD.

These are two seperate issues (I can't get either to work properly) that I
need help with -- the scripted database dump and then the sequential cd
burn.

Here is the command I tried using:

pg_dump -C -d myDb > myDbSept.out

The problem is that I need a login / password to execute this command, and
it is asking for a password at an echo prompt! I tried using the PGUSER /
PGPASSWORD variables, but they didn't work (or, at least I don't know how
to use them properly)

As for the cd-burning component, that's a whole other mess I'm going to
have to bug the linux.cd people about.

Could someone please nudge me in the right direction, or if they've
already done something like this (with the burn), perhaps post up a sample
of their script?

Thanks ever so much,
Rums.

REMOVErumsAThomeDOTcom