RE: [INTERFACES] Still have problems connecting to Localhost...

From: Craig Orsinger <orsingerc(at)epg-gw1(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Still have problems connecting to Localhost...
Date: 1999-06-08 21:53:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On 08-Jun-99 Andre Carvalho wrote:
> Thanx for solution with "load libpgtcl.so"...
>
> but now I have the other problem when I try to connect to the localhost
> server (with libpgtcl) I get the answer:
> "Connection to database failed
> User authentication failed"...
>
> I verified and the server is running with the -i option (it's OK) , and
> connections from other machines to the server work fine too.
> But when try to use libpgtcl to local connections I get errors... Running
> psql localy works fine too, but with the options:
> " psql -h localhost -u template1 "
> I received the error:
> "Connection to database 'template1' failed
> User authentication failed"...
>
> I just can't understand why remote connections work fine and local not...
> if anyone can help me....

You didn't mention you'd done this so I'll suggest it - take a look
at your $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf file. There should be a line near the bottom that
looks like this:

host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

If there's something other than trust in the authentication
field, you should make sure that the method you chose is operating
correctly. Also, make sure that a name lookup of "localhost" yields
the IP address "127.0.0.1".

Date: 08-Jun-99 Time: 14:48:00

Craig Orsinger (email: <orsingerc(at)epg(dot)lewis(dot)army(dot)mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28 "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA 98433 - The Doctor