RE: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Masahiko Sawada' <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Yu Shi (Fujitsu)" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "andres(at)anarazel(dot)de" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com" <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Takamichi Osumi (Fujitsu)" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com" <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "euler(at)eulerto(dot)com" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com" <m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br" <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: RE: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)
Date: 2023-05-12 03:48:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Amit, Sawada-san,

Thank you for replying!

> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 2:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 2:35 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
> > <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear hackers,
> > >
> > > I rebased and refined my PoC. Followings are the changes:
> > >

> > 1. Is my understanding correct that this patch creates the delay files
> > for each transaction? If so, did you consider other approaches such as
> > using one file to avoid creating many files?
> > 2. For streaming transactions, first the changes are written in the
> > temp file and then moved to the delay file. It seems like there is a
> > double work. Is it possible to unify it such that when min_apply_delay
> > is specified, we just use the delay file without sacrificing the
> > advantages like stream sub-abort can truncate the changes?
> > 3. Ideally, there shouldn't be a performance impact of this feature on
> > regular transactions because the delay file is created only when
> > min_apply_delay is active but better to do some testing of the same.
> >

> In addition to the points Amit raised, if the 'required_schema' option
> is specified in START_REPLICATION, the publisher sends schema
> information for every change. I think it leads to significant
> overhead. Did you consider alternative approaches such as sending the
> schema information for every transaction or the subscriber requests
> the publisher to send it?

Thanks for giving your opinions. Except for suggestion 2, I have never considered.
I will analyze them and share my opinion later.
About 2, I chose the style in order to simplify the source code, but I'm now planning
to follow suggestions.

> > Overall, I think such an approach can address comments by Sawada-San
> > [1] but not sure if Sawada-San or others have any better ideas to
> > achieve this feature. It would be good to see what others think of
> > this approach.
> >

> I agree with this approach.
>
> When it comes to the idea of writing logical changes to permanent
> files, I think it would also be a good idea (and perhaps could be a
> building block of this feature) that we write streamed changes to a
> permanent file so that the apply worker can retry to apply them
> without retrieving the same changes again from the publisher.

I'm very relieved to hear that.
One question: did you mean to say that serializing changes into the permanent files
can be extend to the non-delay case, right? I think once I will treat for delayed
replication, and then we can consider later.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED