RE: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure

From: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <Shinya11(dot)Kato(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com" <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, "masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Subject: RE: [Proposal] Add foreign-server health checks infrastructure
Date: 2022-02-17 10:35:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Horiguchi-san,

> I think we just don't need to add the special timeout kind to the
> core. postgres_fdw can use USER_TIMEOUT and it would be suffiction to
> keep running health checking regardless of transaction state then fire
> query cancel if disconnection happens. As I said in the previous main,
> possible extra query cancel woud be safe.

I finally figured out that you mentioned about user-defined timeout system.
Firstly - before posting to hackers - I designed like that,
but I was afraid of an overhead that many FDW registers timeout
and call setitimer() many times. Is it too overcautious?

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED