RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading

From: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'David Steele' <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Kyotaro Horiguchi' <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com" <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com" <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, "laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at" <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading
Date: 2021-03-19 06:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
> After reading through the thread (but not reading the patch) I am -1 on
> this proposal.
>
> The feature seems ripe for abuse and misunderstanding, and as has been
> noted in the thread, there are a variety of alternatives that can
> provide a similar effect.
>
> It doesn't help that at several points along the way new WAL records
> have been found that still need to be included even when wal_level =
> none. It's not clear to me how we know when we have found them all.
>
> The patch is marked Ready for Committer but as far as I can see there
> are no committers in favor of it and quite a few who are not.

I can understand that people are worried about not having WAL. But as far as I remember, I'm afraid those concerns were emotional, not logical, i.e., something like "something may happen.". Regarding concrete concerns that Stephen-san, Magnus-san, Horiguchi-san, Sawada-san and others raised, Osumi-san addressed them based on their advice and review, both in this thread and other threads.

I also understand we want to value people's emotion for worry-free PostgreSQL. At the same time, I'd like the emotion understood that we want Postgres to have this convenient, easy-to-use feature. MySQL recently introduced this feature. Why can't Postgres do it?

> Perhaps it would be better to look at some of the more targeted
> approaches mentioned in the thread and see if any of them can be
> used/improved to achieve the desired result?

Other methods are not as easy-to-use, and more complex to implement.

What kind of destiny does this type of feature end up in?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa}