Re: PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces, 2-phase commit: Status

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces, 2-phase commit: Status
Date: 2004-04-23 17:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Would folks report on the current status of these projects:
>
> o nested transactions (Alvaro Herrera)
> o tablespaces (Gavin Sherry)
> o PITR (Simon Riggs)
> o 2-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)

I've been very busy with at work, and haven't had much time to work on the
2-phase commit patch.

I'm keeping a close eye on Alvaro's nested transactions stuff, because it
touches the same areas as 2-phase commits.

One day, while reading postgresql code, I realized that my two-phase
code doesn't do the right thing with snapshots. GetSnapshotData scans
through all running backends, and collects the xids of all running
transactions. I suppose all pre-committed transactions should go to the
snapshot too.

So there's still some work to be done, but I'm still hoping to finish it
in time for 7.5.

- Heikki