Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Date: 2004-04-23 18:02:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 11:02, Rod Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 23:05, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 April 2004 13:55, Barry Lind wrote:
> > > I think the solution lies in improving www.postgresql.org. At the end
> > > of the day it doesn't matter where source code lives, what matters is
> > > can people find what they are expecting. Given we know what people are
> > > looking for, that should be front and center on the web site and the ftp
> > > sites.
>
> > But of course that solution always stalls out when it comes down to picking
> > which projects get the special treatment of direct links from the main
> > website and which ones stay out of the spotlight. With JDBC you might make
>
> I really don't see this as being any different than deciding which
> buffer strategy or website style to use. One is better in some way so it
> becomes a part of the system.

The difference is that a "better" admin tool is very subjective where as
a buffer strategy is not... or maybe the difference is really that
everyone thinks they are qualified to pick a "better" admin tool, but
very few can really argue as to a better buffer strategy. While I think
your criteria is pretty close to what I would use, I still couldn't pick
which is the best between pgtcl/pgtclng/pgintcl or pypgsql/pygresql...
and even I did I bet some people would have a problem with my choices.

Robert Treat