LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Chris Hayner <hayner80(at)astro(dot)ocis(dot)temple(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 2000-12-27 17:40:00
Lists: pgsql-general

hello all.

I suppose I should introduce myself, since I am new around here, and as
such will probably be asking a lot of silly questions. I apologize for
that in advance. My name is Chris Hayner and I work for Temple University
doing various work on all flavors of UNIX. My current task is to work with
postgreSQL, specifically on binding it to various LDAP services and
replacing mySQL for this task.
My question relates to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem discussed in number
eight on the INSTALL tasks of the recently installed 7.0.3

What I really want to know is how others have gotten around this
problem. Everything I have read says that setting this env variable is a
bad and dangerous thing to do, but I need a large amount of users to be
able to access and use the database engine. Any help on this problem would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
ch