Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 2000-12-27 17:56:49
Lists: pgsql-general

* Chris Hayner <hayner80(at)astro(dot)ocis(dot)temple(dot)edu> [001227 11:41]:
> hello all.
>
> I suppose I should introduce myself, since I am new around here, and as
> such will probably be asking a lot of silly questions. I apologize for
> that in advance. My name is Chris Hayner and I work for Temple University
> doing various work on all flavors of UNIX. My current task is to work with
> postgreSQL, specifically on binding it to various LDAP services and
> replacing mySQL for this task.
> My question relates to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem discussed in number
> eight on the INSTALL tasks of the recently installed 7.0.3
>
> What I really want to know is how others have gotten around this
> problem. Everything I have read says that setting this env variable is a
> bad and dangerous thing to do, but I need a large amount of users to be
> able to access and use the database engine. Any help on this problem would
> be greatly appreciated.
In 7.1 (Beta now), it has LD_RUN_PATH (aka -R) set on those operating
systems that support it. I was able to remove my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
settings when I went to 7.1beta1 on my UnixWare box.

Larry

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org