Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 17:24:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

>"Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es> writes:
>> 1 - The old "configure --with-CC=cc" problem is still there: configure
>> fails if you specify --with-CC=cc when it is going to test whether the C
>> compiler needs the "-traditional" flag. I think I remember it was due to a
>> bug in autoconf itself, so there isn't much to be done, except patch the
>> configure script by hand before making the release. I can supply a patch,
>> if needed.
>
>Can you send me the details on this one? I'm not real eager for us to
>try to apply a hand patch to configure (it would get lost, because we
>change configure.in and rerun autoconf every few days, seems like).

Yes, it would be a real pain. I was considering it only as the last
option.

>But maybe there is another way. In any case, I can try to make sure
>that the next release of Autoconf fixes the underlying problem.

Ok, here's what happens: the line "AC_PROG_GCC_TRADITIONAL" in
configure.in expands to the following in configure:

if test $ac_cv_prog_gcc = yes; then
echo $ac_n "checking whether ${CC-cc} needs -traditional""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:3961: checking whether ${CC-cc} needs -traditional" >&5
if eval "test \"`echo '$''{'ac_cv_prog_gcc_traditional'+set}'`\" = set"; then
[ more follows ]

The problem is that $ac_cv_prog_gcc is empty if you specify
"--with-CC=", so the first line expands to "if test = yes; then", which
is clearly incorrect.

My workaround is to substitute the first line with "if test
x$ac_cv_prog_gcc = xyes; then" in configure itself. Dirty, but it works.

>> 2 - I get the following error when compiling:
>
>> cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend -I/usr/local/include -DNOFIXADE -O4 -Olimit 2000 -I../.. -c istrat.c -o istrat.o
>> cc: Error: istrat.c, line 495: In this statement, "F_OIDEQ" is not declared.
>
>This is a symptom of incorrect configure guess about how to do
>cpp-from-stdin ... the file that should contain the definition of
>F_OIDEQ is winding up empty :-(

Yes, that was the problem. I fixed Gen_fmgrtab.sh.in and genbki.in as
Thomas suggested, and the thing compled (mostly) fine.

>It should be fixed in the current CVS sources, or BETA4 whenever that's
>out.

I don't know if I will be able to test BETA4, because I'm leaving for a
short vacation (lucky me :-) on Saturday and won't be back until Thursday.
However, it should work as expected.

Pedro José Lobo Perea Tel: +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo Fax: +34 91 331 92 29
EUIT Telecomunicación - UPM e-mail: pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es