Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.4 BETA2 fails to compile on Digital Unix 4.0d
Date: 1998-10-29 15:58:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es> writes:
> 1 - The old "configure --with-CC=cc" problem is still there: configure
> fails if you specify --with-CC=cc when it is going to test whether the C
> compiler needs the "-traditional" flag. I think I remember it was due to a
> bug in autoconf itself, so there isn't much to be done, except patch the
> configure script by hand before making the release. I can supply a patch,
> if needed.

Can you send me the details on this one? I'm not real eager for us to
try to apply a hand patch to configure (it would get lost, because we
change configure.in and rerun autoconf every few days, seems like).
But maybe there is another way. In any case, I can try to make sure
that the next release of Autoconf fixes the underlying problem.

> 2 - I get the following error when compiling:

> cc -I../../../include -I../../../backend -I/usr/local/include -DNOFIXADE -O4 -Olimit 2000 -I../.. -c istrat.c -o istrat.o
> cc: Error: istrat.c, line 495: In this statement, "F_OIDEQ" is not declared.

This is a symptom of incorrect configure guess about how to do
cpp-from-stdin ... the file that should contain the definition of
F_OIDEQ is winding up empty :-(

It should be fixed in the current CVS sources, or BETA4 whenever that's
out.