Re: WAL replay logic (was Re: [PERFORM] Mount options f

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <VMIKHEEV(at)sectordata(dot)com>
Cc: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL replay logic (was Re: [PERFORM] Mount options f
Date: 2003-02-19 02:53:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:

> > > So if you do this, do you still need to store that information in
> > > pg_control at all?
>
> Yes: to "speeds up the recovery process".

If it's going to slow down the performance of my database when not doing
recovery (because I have to write two files for every transaction,
rather than one), I couldn't care less about speeding up the recovery
process.

As far as Bruce's question goes, what kind of corruption can happen to
the log files? We write a full block at a time, I guess, so it might
make sense to checksum it to verify that the block was not partially
written.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC