Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>
Subject: Re: Linux.conf.au 2003 Report
Date: 2003-02-01 05:35:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

> It's a good things that the socket interface can actually work
> with all protocol! It doesn't only work with AF_INET, but also
> AF_UNIX, and probably others. It's a good things that things
> like socket(), bind(), connect() don't need to be replaced by
> other things.

Sure. But you still want to be able to say (and can say, in some [many?]
socket API implementations) that you want to accept only IPv4 or only IPv6
connections. I also want to be able to say the same thing in my database.

So probably, this means setting up separate types for IPv4 and IPv6
addresses, and a third type to hold both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. That
third type could also be extended to hold OSI, NS, and whatever other
type of addresses people feel would be useful.

I suppose another way of implementing this would be to set up some easy
way to put a constraint on a column such that you could constrain it to
hold only IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.

And I would be interested to hear the opinions of those who want to put
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the same type as to whether you do or do not
support also putting ISO/OSI and Novell addresses into that type as well,
and why or why not.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC