Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date: 2002-09-10 02:56:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> I'm thinking about changing this from a beta port to a -devel port
> that I'll periodically update with snapshots. I'll turn on -O6 for
> the -devel port and -O2 for production for now. If I don't hear of
> any random bogons in the code I'll see if I can't increase it further
> to -O3 and beyond at a slow/incremental rate.

Keep in mind that, while gcc is pretty stable for i386, the higher
optimization levels (above -O2) do tend to have bogons on other
processors, that vary with which version of gcc you're running.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.netbsd.org
Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're all light. --XTC