ipc-daemon as service on Windows XP

From: Michael Adler <adler(at)glimpser(dot)org>
To: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Subject: ipc-daemon as service on Windows XP
Date: 2002-04-01 21:11:29
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I've installed postgresql on cygwin (using Jason's binaries, which are
great) hundreds of times on Windows 2000. Installing cygipc and PostgreSQL
works very reliably. I use:

cygrunsrv --install ipc-daemon --path /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon.exe --termsig INT --shutdown
cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --termsig INT --dep ipc-daemon

and that works everytime with Windows 2000.

This does not seem to work on Windows XP (meanwhile, other services like
cron and inetd work fine on XP).

I think the ipc-daemon is the problem. The only way I get it to work is by
typing:

$ ipc-daemon&
$ pg_ctl start

But I would prefer that it start automatically in the background (as a
"service").

Btw, I noticed that service processes are all owed by user "Everyone" on
XP. In Win2k, they were owned by "SYSTEM".

Has anyone used PostgreSQL/cygipc as a system "service" in Windows XP? If
so, how?

Mike Adler