Re: ipc-daemon as service on Windows XP

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Michael Adler <adler(at)glimpser(dot)org>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ipc-daemon as service on Windows XP
Date: 2002-04-02 01:45:23
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Mike,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 04:11:29PM -0500, Michael Adler wrote:
> This does not seem to work on Windows XP (meanwhile, other services like
> cron and inetd work fine on XP).

Is this XP Home Edition or Professional? What kind of errors do you get?
Anything in the Event Log?

> I think the ipc-daemon is the problem. The only way I get it to work is by
> typing:
>
> $ ipc-daemon&
> $ pg_ctl start

Maybe ipc-daemon depends on another service that starts up slower or in
a different order on XP. Search the Cygwin mailing for service start up
problems. Maybe one of the solutions will help you?

> But I would prefer that it start automatically in the background (as a
> "service").
>
> Btw, I noticed that service processes are all owed by user "Everyone" on
> XP. In Win2k, they were owned by "SYSTEM".

Hmm. You may want to report this to the Cygwin list.

> Has anyone used PostgreSQL/cygipc as a system "service" in Windows XP? If
> so, how?

Sorry, I don't have XP, so I can't help you more.

Jason