Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD

From: Anton de Wet <adw(at)obsidian(dot)co(dot)za>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD
Date: 2006-09-01 07:20:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> In general, I think that people who harp on PostgreSQL's lack of a
> benevolent dictator as an inhibitor to progress are people who are not
> comfortable with democracy and are looking for excuses why company X needs
> to "take over the project for its own good."

One problem I see the postresql at the moment (and I'm porbably touching a
can of worms here) is the lack of some sort of certification.

One thing linux (or Red Hat) is doing well is supplying the things that
corporates are looking for. And the first thing they look for when they
seriously start looking at a new technology is training. When they look at
training, they go for certifications (as we see all the time with the
RHCE).

We have a number of large corporate clients here in South Africa,
including some of the biggest banks, of which a few are asking for
training at the moment. It would be really nice to have some form of
certification available that we could present that had some international
credentials.

Anton

--
Forgiveness is giving up all hope for a better past