Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: does wal archiving block the current client connection?
Date: 2006-05-18 14:54:51
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Simon Riggs wrote:

> Seems so.
>
> Can you post the full test, plus full execution log.
>
> [You don't need to "cat" you could just do "ls" instead FWIW]
>
> Are you doing *anything* with pg_xlog directory or below? I understand
> your saying No to that question and pg_xlog has not been moved, its just
> underneath data directory, which is on normal disk?

I did a fresh compile of 8.1.3 with --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-8.1.3. On this
particular system, this is actually located on / which is /dev/md1 (a mirror).
I'll try and start a brand new version of the test so I can capture the
logging to syslog for you guys as well as the stdout on the pg_ctl console.

More later.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure this is related to the problems we saw
before. (i.e. the system doesn't get unusually slow or anything, nor do the
connections seems to block)

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/