Viewing Database Scheme

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Viewing Database Scheme
Date: 2006-01-28 18:14:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to help the XRMS developers add postgres support ('cause that's
what I use). They've done well so far with help from other postgres users,
but now I've been asked to help getting the indices correct.

When installing the application I specified the database name as 'contacts'
(not very innovative or clever, but descriptive). When I open the database
with 'psql contacts' and ask to have the tables dumped (with \d), they go
streaming by on the display. Of course, the bash 'tee' or 'less' commands
don't work to allow me to capture the stream to a file or page through the
output.

I've looked in the 8.1 pdf manual and the Douglas*2 book without spotting
the command I need to get a list of all tables and their fields. When I've
developed postgres applications I know the schema so this has not been an
issue before.

Please pass me a clue stick on how to view all the tables in this
application.

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D. | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"