Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good

From: David Lang <david(at)lang(dot)hm>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Nunes Melo <al_nunes(at)atua(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware upgraded but performance still ain't good
Date: 2006-08-09 16:37:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Ahh and which companies would these be? As a representative of the most
>>> prominent one in the US I can tell you that you are not speaking from a
>>> knowledgeable position.
>>
>> note I said many, not all. I am aware that your company does not fall into
>> this catagory.
>
> I know, but I am curious as to *what* companies. Any reputable PostgreSQL
> company is going to support Linux as a whole except maybe some fringe distros
> like Gentoo or RedFlag. Not to mention FreeBSD and Solaris.

I'm not going to name names in public, but I will point out that different
companies definitions of what constatutes 'fringe distros' are different.
For some any linux other then RedHat Enterprise or SuSE is a fringe distro
(with SuSE being a relativly recent addition, for a while RedHat were
frequently the only supported distro versions)

and please note, when I'm talking about support, it's not just postgresql
support, but also hardware/driver support that can run into these problems

David Lang