Re: Best Linux Distribution

From: Marco Colombo <pgsql(at)esiway(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: 2005-01-20 10:34:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
>> No difference whatsoever from PostgreSQL's point of view. Use whichever
>> distribution is easiest for you to administer. After all, there's no
>> point installing Postgres on a machine you don't know how to maintain
>> or tune :)
>>
> Actually there is a difference from PostgreSQL's point of view :)
> Namely in filesystems. The default filesystem on whitebox, RHEL and
> Fedora is EXT3 which really isn't that great.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is there any evidence of the above claim? I've seen a link to a l-k
bug report about ext3, but apparently it was totally unconfirmed
(and a single bug does not mean a FS is not good - I remember XFS
being hammered heavily before being accepted into Linux).

I'm using ext3 cause all other FSes are simple add-ons in linux.
All of them struggled a lot before being able to meet linux high
quality standards and being accepted into mainstream. Ext3 was there
from the start. Of course that doesn't mean it fits PostgreSQL needs
better than other FSes.

.TM.
--
/ / / Marco Colombo