Re: Best Linux Distribution

From: Abdul-Wahid Paterson <abdulwahid(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marco Colombo <pgsql(at)esiway(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: 2005-01-20 12:23:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I think the filesystem you choose depends what you are looking for.
Ext3 is by far the most tested and most stable out the file systems
available. It is basically just ext2 with journalling stuck on top
(and a few other niceities). XFS may well be faster but is perhaps not
so well tested or as stable. My choise for stability would be ext3 and
for speed would be xfs.

As for the OS, it probably doesn't make much difference. My personal
choice though is gentoo. My reasons are.

1. The postgres server is compiled with optimised gcc flags.
2. Gentoo have many different versions of postgres available and is
easy to upgrade /change between versions. Looking at the versions
available now they have from
7.3.6 to 8.0. (8.0 is still marked as testing)

Regards,

Abdul-Wahid