Re: Question.

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Vaughan Bezuidenhout <vaughan(at)ibsoft(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question.
Date: 2006-08-22 23:07:57
Lists: sydpug

Hi Vaughan,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Vaughan Bezuidenhout wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> I develop software and have decided to try postgresql as a db. Can anyone
> please advise me om how to read the postgresql schema with vb6. I need to

I'm not familiar with VB6, but you can use SQL to discover this. You can
use the information schema to discover this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/information-schema.html

The nice thing about information schema is that it is specified by ANSI
SQL and should work in the same way on DB2 and MySQL soon as well, I
think.

Alternatively, you can start psql with the -E flag, run \d and copy the
SQL.

> convert existing tables in MySQL to Postgresql. I need to develop this
> migration tool myself to use elsewhere, so I need to read the MySSQL
> schema(which I can do) and port the structure to Postgresql. Thereafter I
> will convert each field of each record.
>
> Your help will be appreciated.

FWIW, this list is actually about the Sydney PostgreSQL Users Group. The
kind of question you have is usually discussed on pgsql-general:

http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?domain=postgresql.org&func=lists-long-full&extra=pgsql-general

Gavin