Re: Upcoming PG re-releases

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Paul Lindner <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upcoming PG re-releases
Date: 2005-12-05 04:43:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi all,

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Paul Lindner <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com> writes:
> > To convert your pre-8.1 database to 8.1 you may have to remove and/or
> > fix the offending characters. One simple way to fix the problem is to
> > run your pg_dump output through the iconv command like this:
>
> > iconv -c -f UTF8 -t UTF8 -o fixed.sql dump.sql
>
> Is that really a one-size-fits-all solution? Especially with -c?

It's definately not a one size fits all. The reassuring thing is that
others have tried to deal with this problem before.

Omar Kilani and I have spent a few hours looking at the problem. For
situations where there is a lot of invalid encoding, manual fixing is just
not viable. The vim project has a kind of fuzzy encoding conversion which
accounts for a lot of the non-UTF8 sequences in UTF8 data. You can use vim
to modify your text dump as follows:

vim -c ":wq! ++enc=utf8 fixed.dump" original.dump

Now, our testing of this is far from exhaustive but it's a lot better than
just cutting the data from the original dump. Those suffering the problem
should definately check this out, particularly if you have a non-trivial
amount of data.

Thanks,

Gavin