Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block
Date: 2005-11-30 21:34:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I checked with out DBAs, and they are willing to test it.

Thanks, that's very nice!

> By they way, they found that they were getting this on a pg_dump,
> too. We will test both failure cases. If the test goes OK, we would
> be happy to leave it in production with this patch.

I can believe that pg_dump faces the similar situtation, i.e., running out
of kernel buffers. But seems pg_dump supports "-Z 0..9" option which uses
some external I/O functions from zlib. This part may be not easy to
"retry".

Magnus, do you want to work on this? If not, I will give it a try.

Regards,
Qingqing