Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] ERROR: could not read block
Date: 2005-11-30 21:09:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[Apologies for the delayed response; fighting through a backlog.]

I checked with out DBAs, and they are willing to test it.

By they way, they found that they were getting this on a pg_dump,
too. We will test both failure cases. If the test goes OK, we would
be happy to leave it in production with this patch.

-Kevin

>>> "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> >>>

"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote

> Would a simple retry loop actually help? It's not clear to me how
> persistent such a failure would be.

[with reply to all followup threads] Yeah, this is the key and we
definitely
have no 100% guarantee that several retries will solve the problem -
just as
the situation in pg_unlink/pg_rename. But shall we do something now? If
Kevin could help on testing(you may have to revert the registry changes
:-()
, I would like to send a patch in the retry style.

Regards,
Qingqing

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster