Re: psql large RSS (1.6GB)

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin(at)spy(dot)net>
Cc: TTK Ciar <ttk2(at)hardpoint(dot)ciar(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql large RSS (1.6GB)
Date: 2004-11-01 13:45:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> > If the solution is to just write a little client that uses perl
> > DBI to fetch rows one at a time and write them out, that's doable,
> > but it would be nice if psql could be made to "just work" without
> > the monster RSS.
>
> It wouldn't make a difference unless that driver implements the
> underlying protocol on its own.

Even though we can tell people to make use of cursors, it seems that
memory usage for large result sets should be addressed. A quick search of
the archives does not reveal any discussion about having libpq spill to
disk if a result set reaches some threshold. Has this been canvassed in
the past?

Thanks,

Gavin