Re: tablespace and sequences?

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablespace and sequences?
Date: 2004-08-18 09:03:32
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

Dear Christopher,

> > "TABLESPACE" appears in a basic pg_dump SQL output. If the test tablespace
> > does not exist, the command will fail, and so my whole restoration.
> >
> > Thus I still stick to my opinion;-)
>
> Your complaint was that you need a way of continuing a restore if the
> _tablespace_ cannot be created. ie. If the directory does not exist.

Indeed it is possible that I was not clear enough!

The issue I feel should be addressed is the ability to restore a database
while ignoring tablespace issues, not only their creation but also their
uses.

> If you have objects in a tablespace, then too bad.

Well, ISTM that it is the problem I'm discussing...

If I cannot restore a base I see that as a problem, which is indeed a lack
of humour from my side.

> It's no different to if the schema the object in doesn't exist.
> Or the table the data is in doesn't exist.
> Or the functin the view references doesn't exist.

It is a little bit different because a schema, a table or a function are
database application issues and are normally addressed by pg_dump and
pg_restore, although tablespaces are more an administration issue wrt disk
layout and the like, which are likely to be different from one machine to
another (compare with I obviously want the same schema/table/function for
my application). So the notion of dump/restore of a tablespace need
some careful thinking.

But maybe I'm just stupid to dream that I could restore or transfer my
data even if I used a tablespace somewhere? ;-)

It looks that we don't have the same perspective about database
administration.

Anyway, have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr