Re: tablespace and sequences?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablespace and sequences?
Date: 2004-08-18 13:44:05
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 04:39, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > shell> pg_dump coelho | grep TABLESPACE
> > CREATE SCHEMA test AUTHORIZATION coelho TABLESPACE test;
> >
> > "TABLESPACE" appears in a basic pg_dump SQL output. If the test
> > tablespace does not exist, the command will fail, and so my whole
> > restoration.
> >
> > Thus I still stick to my opinion;-)
>
> Your complaint was that you need a way of continuing a restore if the
> _tablespace_ cannot be created. ie. If the directory does not exist.
>
> If you have objects in a tablespace, then too bad. It's no different to
> if the schema the object in doesn't exist. Or the table the data is in
> doesn't exist. Or the functin the view references doesn't exist.

Chris, help me understand this will you? On my production system I have a few
very large tables I want to move into their own tablespace so I can but them
a a very large disk, and a couple frequently updated tables I would like to
move into their own tablespace so i can put them on their own (small, raid
oriented) disk. I need to do all this from a physical side of things for
performance and administration in production, but when I create test
databases for developers/testing, I don't want to have to recreate the same
physical layout on every system.... it sounds like you are saying that is the
case... or maybe I am misreading you?

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL