Re: pl/pgsql: END verbosity

From: Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql: END verbosity
Date: 2005-06-26 19:52:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Neil Conway wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > It is required by the SQL standard.
>
> No, it isn't -- PL/PgSQL is not defined by the SQL standard. I guess
> you're referring to SQL/PSM, but that has only a passing resemblance to
> PL/PgSQL. Implementing SQL/PSM in some form would definitely be worth
> doing (especially now that MySQL have), but I haven't seen any plans to
> do that by adapting PL/PgSQL to SQL/PSM.

PL/pgSQL is different language than SQL/PSM and is little bit nonsenc
adapting them to SQL/PSM. PL/SQL live still - Oracle did some enhancing,
and we can do it too.

Some parts both languages are similar and some enough different. I had
plan start develop new interpret for SQL/PSM two years ago, but I hadn't
knowleages at that time. Situation is different now. If anybody wont to
work on SQL/PSM I will go too. Solution is another pl - pl/psm. We can
adapt gram.y plpgsql to psm

Regards
Pavel Stehule