Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of

To: "Daniel R(dot) Anderson" <dan(at)mathjunkies(dot)com>
Cc: Joel Rodrigues <borgempath(at)Phreaker(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of
Date: 2003-03-24 03:38:51
Lists: pgsql-general

FWIW, the current version of tar uses
-z for gzip compression
-j for bzip2 compression

There is no need to specifically un{b}zip tars as the effective processes
are

tar -xjf xyz --becomes--> bunzip2 < xyz | tar -xf -
tar -xjf xyz ... --becomes--> tar -cf - ... | bzip2 > xyz

The primary advantage to providing the archive in bzip2 (instead of gzip)
format is the reduction of download time; saving storage space is a much
less significant issue.

Whether or not you save space with the archive is a separate issue, IMO
fairly insignificant given the difficulty in finding a new drive UNDER
40GB.

(Said by someone who just installed a 7.3.2 demo on a 16MB P-90 laptop
running RH70)