Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of

From: "Daniel R(dot) Anderson" <dan(at)mathjunkies(dot)com>
To: Joel Rodrigues <borgempath(at)Phreaker(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL downloads compressed with bzip2 instead of
Date: 2003-03-23 21:42:21
Lists: pgsql-general

<snip>
> I keep all downloads as bzip2 compressed archives on my drive in
> case (!:-) I ever need to re-install/re-compile. So, you see it
> *does* minimize required disk space.
>
> To suggest that an untarred, decompressed bzip2 archive would
> need less space than if it had been compressed using any other
> algorithm, would be an odd suggestion indeed.
</snip>

I wasn't suggesting that an untarred, decompressed bzip2 archive would
need less space then a compressed one; I was simply pointing out that if
you're downloading it to install you need so much disk space. AND, if I
remember correctly bunzip2 -- like when you gunzip a *.gz -- removes the
extension.[0] So you'd have to recompress the tar file /anyways/ --
thus making it a negligible savings.

As far as saving files on your hard disk goes I'm not sure what benefit
you're getting. It's been my experience that saved sources go out of
date long before they're needed[1]. You're much better off setting up
CVS.[2]

[0] I'm not overly familiar with bzip2. I would assume you could use
some extension when you call bzip2 to keep a copy of the file in bzip2
format. But, then again you'd still need to rm -Rf the directory
created.

[1] Since you may need the sources to uninstall a program, in that
context I could understand keeping said code. But, again, in my
experience download time of old versions is negligible and most sites
have old code available. Then again, I am using a broadband
connection. :-D

[2] Yes, I realize that you save the sources for when you feel the need
to reinstall Debian/slackware/whatever distro you happen to have. But
if you're reinstalling every week you should stop doing everything while
root. ;-P

--
Daniel R. Anderson
Chief Lab Rat and Helper Monkey

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education"
-- Mark Twain