Re: pgaccess form design

From: "C(dot) Maj" <cmaj(at)freedomcorpse(dot)info>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "John L(dot) Turner" <jlt(at)wvinter(dot)net>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess form design
Date: 2002-07-10 02:13:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:

> > > I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
> > > table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
> > > table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
> > > into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
> > > need to make the deletion by hand.
> > >
> > > You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.
> > >

> > I never tried this before, so I named a couple of buttons and entry
> > boxes on a form with starting Capitals. Sure enough, after I saved, then
> > opened the form, it complained. But to fix it I didn't have to go into
> > the pga_forms table. I just designed the form again, changed the first
> > letter to lower case, and saved then opened it. Works like a champ.
> >
> > If I didn't get that bug correctly reproduced, please file a report at
> > bugzilla.pgaccess.org, so we can address the problem in more depth and
> > off-list.
> >

> Hmmm...in 0.98.7 if I create a label with the name Label1 and save it then when
> I open it I get the error reported. When I 'design' the form again, which is
> what I was assuming was part of the original report but obviously isn't, I
> don't get the error but I can not simply edit the widget name to change the
> uppercase letter to lowercase and save it. Looking at the backend logfile I see
> a deletion of the form from pga_forms followed by a re-insertion . The INSERT
> command still shows the capitalised Label1 name is being used. Further
> experimentation seems to show that it's the editing of the widget name that is
> not being handled correctly when the first letter is uppercase.
>
> As I say this was on 0.98.7, I haven't got 0.98.8 yet.

Perhaps the key part here is hitting the "Enter" key when you change the
name of the label. I think _only_ that updates the variable which contains
the name of the label. (You are correct about the DELETE/INSERT handling,
the old form code is dropped immediately before the new code is put into
the pga_forms table.)

I will add this Capital Letter issue to bugzilla.pgaccess.org ASAP.

FYI, 0.98.8 isn't released yet. The plan is out there for it, though.

--Chris Maj

--

cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_info
0xC0051F6A