Re: pgaccess form design

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "C(dot) Maj" <cmaj(at)freedomcorpse(dot)info>
Cc: "John L(dot) Turner" <jlt(at)wvinter(dot)net>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess form design
Date: 2002-07-10 01:11:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, C. Maj wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nigel J. Andrews waxed:
>

> > On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, John L. Turner wrote:
> >
> > > By mistake, I named a Form's data box, starting with a Capital letter.
> > > Received a message, but can not delete said offender.
> > > I removed the control from the Form, but still I get an error when Form opens.
> >
> > I think you probably need to edit the formsource column in the pga_forms
> > table. I haven't done this myself, or looked too closely at the contents of the
> > table but I presume that your deletion of the form item hasn't been propagated
> > into the description held for the form in the database and that therefore you
> > need to make the deletion by hand.
> >
> > You should be able to do this within pgaccess if I'm not mistaken.
> >

> I never tried this before, so I named a couple of buttons and entry
> boxes on a form with starting Capitals. Sure enough, after I saved, then
> opened the form, it complained. But to fix it I didn't have to go into
> the pga_forms table. I just designed the form again, changed the first
> letter to lower case, and saved then opened it. Works like a champ.
>
> If I didn't get that bug correctly reproduced, please file a report at
> bugzilla.pgaccess.org, so we can address the problem in more depth and
> off-list.

Hmmm...in 0.98.7 if I create a label with the name Label1 and save it then when
I open it I get the error reported. When I 'design' the form again, which is
what I was assuming was part of the original report but obviously isn't, I
don't get the error but I can not simply edit the widget name to change the
uppercase letter to lowercase and save it. Looking at the backend logfile I see
a deletion of the form from pga_forms followed by a re-insertion . The INSERT
command still shows the capitalised Label1 name is being used. Further
experimentation seems to show that it's the editing of the widget name that is
not being handled correctly when the first letter is uppercase.

As I say this was on 0.98.7, I haven't got 0.98.8 yet.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---