Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and
Date: 2004-04-01 17:18:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> > Should we write an open letter response (need to be carefully pitched
> > though).
>
> I've already contacted Sleepycat, via a conversation we were having about
> OSCON. Please let me see if that bears fruit before doing anything else.

They seemed like nice folks when I met them a couple years ago, so I'm
sure they'll straighten things out.

The oddest line in the whole report to me was:

"However, Aberdeen's interviews also show that today's proprietary
installed bases and ISVs show little interest in replacing existing
databases with open source ones - leaving open source databases with only
so many places to expand in..."

Considering how many times we see requests for converting Oracle / MSSQL /
DB2 databases to Postgresql, I think their people swim in different waters
than the Postgresql people so. And with that being the tone of the
article, it seems pretty clear that what they're selling sleepycat's
software for is the imbedded / single user / applicance market.

I doubt there's any malice behind their words, but the research was pretty
poor on all the databases covered, and they left out firebirdSQL which is
easily in the same realm as the other open source databases for having
solid code, a cult like following, and its own set of features that set it
apart.