Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and breakdown.

From: Fred Moyer <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Aberdeen Study on OS RDBMS: exceprts and breakdown.
Date: 2004-04-01 16:50:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> PostgreSQL users indicate that improvements in some areas are
>> contemplated, but the next version of PostgreSQL may come as late as
>> two
>> years from now, and the community that drives PostgreSQL development
>> is
>> not committing to any particular improvements.
>>
>> # uh... two years out... i couldn't come up with an explanation for
>> that... well, many of these features are planned for in 7.5, and I
>> wonder if it is worth coming up with a "response" to the information
>> above #
>
> As Bruce says, the 2 years thing is extremely puzzling. Especially as
> they
> could have just looked at the release notes to see actual dates.

I think this is a case of the investigators not being in the know of
where to look for the information. The release notes aren't always the
first place someone who is not familiar with PostgreSQL will look. End
users of Postgres are sometimes shielded from the actual setup and
source code by their sysadmins. It is not that they are incapable of
reading through the distribution files, they just spend their time in
psql, pgadmin, and the website documentation.

I find the weekly news to be a great summary of what's going on when
I'm away from the lists but for those who aren't on the announce list
it takes a while for them to get there. I think posting the weekly
news to the website front page would be a great way to reach out to
those channels.