Re: The big MySQL spin

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 17:07:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> No doubt some of you have seen this by now:
>
> http://enterprise-linux-it.newsfactor.com/
> story.xhtml?story_title=JBoss_and_MySQL_Join_Forces&story_id=23041
>
> What I find fascinating is how MySQL manages to declare how autocratic they
> are, and make it seem like a good thing.
>
> With any other publication, I would try to contact them with a reaction to
> this article. However, NewsFactor does not take feedback; one can't contact
> the reporters and the editor(at)newsfactor(dot)com mail address goes straight to /
> dev/null/
>
> Thoughts? Should we just ignore it?

The sad thing is that I met a couple of the JBoss folks at OSConn a year
and a half ago, and they are consumate computer scientists. They "get
it". The FirebirdSQL folks, they "get it". The sleepy cat guy, "got it".
They all write quality software and strive for correct, bug free operation
of their software.

So I'm guessing it wasn't the chief hackers at JBoss that picked MySQL for
a playtime partner. I'm guessing it was a newly hired suit that came with
their recent capitalization.

FirebirdSQL or Postgresql would both be a much better choice for databases
to put underneath a J2EE server, and I'm willing to bet money that the
coders at JBoss know it.

JBoss is doing their customers no favors here.