Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9
Date: 2003-12-24 22:48:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Lynn(dot)Tilby(at)asu(dot)edu wrote:

> I just installed RH9 on a new machine and installed postgres in the
> installation process. I got the following error when trying to
> start the postmaster so... I tried removing the postgres software
> then reinstalling. rpm first said the software was not installed
> then when I tried to reinstall rpm said it was already installed.

I've seen this happen but never been able to figure out exactly what
caused it.

> How do I solve this problem?

First navigate to /var/lib/rpm and remove the three files that begin with
double underscores typically named __db.001, __db.002, and __db.003

When trying to remove packages I use the rpm -qa | grep xxx to determine
the actual package names. If, like the case of PostgreSQL, they are all
lumped together with a naming that is common to all the packages I use
this

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep postgres)

and nuke them all.

Also make sure that you have stopped the postmaster (PostgreSQL) before
trying to remove the packages. /etc/init.d/postgresql stop

Good luck to you.
Rod