Re: BUG #1026: org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: <g(dot)w(dot)kimbrough(at)larc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <t(dot)a(dot)jones(at)larc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1026: org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The
Date: 2003-12-23 21:10:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-jdbc

> PostgreSQL version: 7.3.4

> attempt failed because failed getting backend
>
> We are trying to install DSPACE with POSTGRES. When we run the ant
> fresh_install command we get the following error. What could be causing a
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The connection attempt failed because
> failed getting backend encoding?

Have you been able to establish a JDBC connection at all or is this error
only with dspace?

Could you enable logging on the server and see if that comes up with
anything interesting? (Enable log_statement in postgresql.conf and
restart the server making sure the output is going somewhere other than
/dev/null)

What do you get from the results of the following queries when run in
psql?

SELECT version();

SELECT pg_encoding_to_char(1);

SELECT getdatabaseencoding();