Re: populating db with PHP

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Becker <beckerba(at)pacbell(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: populating db with PHP
Date: 2003-01-30 21:54:26
Lists: pgsql-php

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Bruce Becker wrote:

> Two questions: For someone using PHP for the first time, which book is
> considered the best? Secondly could someone provide some sample code
> or direct me to some sample code for populating a database using PHP.

Not a clue on best book, as I learned PHP so long ago there literally were
no books on it back then, and I've only skimmed over a few. The online
manual is actually pretty good is short, and www.phpbuilder.com is a great
site for finding sample code and answers...

Here's a short php script for populating a database we actually use here
at work. note that this is a shell script, i.e. it runs as a cron job at
night, not through the web server, but just like a command like program
like a perl script or anything else. You can easily make it a web script,
just chop off the top line and put it in a web page.

#!/usr/local/bin/php -1
<?php
$field_count = "10";
$table = "abc123";
if (!isset($argv[1])) die ("Usage: import <filename>\n\n");
else $filename = $argv[1];
$conn = pg_connect("dbname=database user=bubbahotep host=bruce");
pg_exec($conn,"begin");
$fp = fopen($filename,"r");
while (!feof($fp)) {
$line = fgetcsv($fp,4096);
if (count($line)!=$field_count) continue;
$tmp = implode(":::::",$line);
$tmp = pg_escape_string($tmp);
$line = explode(":::::",$tmp);
$query = "insert into $table values ('";
$query.= implode("','",$line);
$query.= "')";
pg_exec($conn,$query);
}
pg_exec($conn,"end");
?>

It's short and primitive, but it works well enough