Re: Status of JDBC test suite?

From: Anders Bengtsson <ndrsbngtssn(at)yahoo(dot)se>
To: Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Status of JDBC test suite?
Date: 2001-08-29 18:08:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Liam Stewart wrote:

> > > Would a brief How-to help?
> >
> > Yes! :)
>
> I assume that you're wondering about the JDBC 2 test suite from Sun.
> I've attached a note that has some detailed instructions on getting the
> suite to work with PostgreSQL. Rene, do you want to post this on your
> PostgreSQL JDBC page?

Actually, we're not talking about Sun's test suite. :-) But now that you
mention it...

> I think that most, if not all, of the tests in the JDBC suite need to
> connect to a database.

Could Sun's tests be used as a kind of regression tests as well? Then
their tests could be the only black-box test suite we'll need!

> Maybe it would be worthwhile to build our own small unit test suite? Can
> you explain your idea in more detail?

There is already a small unit test suite in the CVS. But it haven't been
kept up to date with recent changes in the drivers, and it's a bit hard
to use (thus the need for a how-to).
The tests use the tool JUnit (http://www.junit.org), that is originally
intended for one-class-at-a-time testing. On their site is a lot of good
texts about this kind of unit testing.

/Anders