Re: Status of JDBC test suite?

From: Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of JDBC test suite?
Date: 2001-08-29 17:34:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 09:56:09PM +0200, Anders Bengtsson wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Rene Pijlman wrote:
>
> > This is probably true, but once you have your environment setup
> > (including a test database, password etc.) its just a matter of
> > typing "make check".
> >
> > Would a brief How-to help?
>
> Yes! :)

I assume that you're wondering about the JDBC 2 test suite from Sun.
I've attached a note that has some detailed instructions on getting the
suite to work with PostgreSQL. Rene, do you want to post this on your
PostgreSQL JDBC page?

> > >Ideally we should be able to extract parts of the test suite that could be
> > >run without connecting to a backend. It would then be possible to at least
> > >run those parts of the tests in "make".

I think that most, if not all, of the tests in the JDBC suite need to
connect to a database.

> It's not as crazy as it sounds. :-) The driver as a whole must of course
> be tested against a real database. But many of the classes that it is made
> up of could be verified on their own with unit tests. This kind of testing
> catches most of the small "silly" bugs that seem to be the most common
> kind of bug.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to build our own small unit test suite? Can
you explain your idea in more detail?

Liam

--
Liam Stewart :: Red Hat Canada, Ltd. :: liams(at)redhat(dot)com

Attachment Content-Type Size
jdbctests.txt text/plain 2.3 KB