Re: 7.2b5 libpq++ include files broken?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2b5 libpq++ include files broken?
Date: 2002-01-22 15:50:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane writes:

> Reinhard Max <max(at)suse(dot)de> writes:
> > as of 7.2b5 'libpq++.h' includes 'libpq++/pgconnection.h' which in
> > turn tries to include 'postgres_fe.h' which can't be found because it
> > has bee moved to the 'internal' subdirectory.
>
> Why was it moved to the internal subdirectory? This seems a clear
> error, as it will break a lot of stuff, and there is not a namespace
> reason to do it.

First, "postgres_fe.h" was invented to be the first file included by
client programs *within* the PostgreSQL source tree *only*. (Remember we
annoyed the PHP folks over this but forced them to fix it.) Second, and
more importantly, it includes c.h, which has namespace problems written
all over it. I think postgres_fe.h should not be included by libpq++ at
all. The only thing I recall it needing is the namespace configure test,
which it already gets via pg_config.h.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net